Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kitties!


Yesterday while Xander and I were taking a walk around the neighborhood we noticed people looking up in the trees. We crossed the street when I saw a woman holding a kitten. Someone we're guessing dropped off the kittens and they climbed trees for safety. We eventually coaxed them all down and got them into boxes. All the neighbors were allergic or had dogs so I volunteered to take them to the SPCA.

Once I got them home I went over to our neighbors and they had to come over and check them out. When I finished changing Xander's diaper I went out and there was Jay with the blue-eyed tabby zipped into his jacket, Melissa had the other two purring on her lap. So much for driving straight to the SPCA. They helped me get them into our bathroom. And there they have stayed. Dominick has been beyond excited, Xander too.

This afternoon we took them to the vet and they all got a clean bill of health. One of the student workers here has said she'll take the black one. Once we found out he's a boy we named him Rascal--he is constantly into stuff but also super sweet, purring all the time. The two tabbies are girls. The brown one is the smallest which of course endears her to Dominick, but she's stayed by herself more sleeping a lot the first day. So we decided to keep the grey tabby. She has played with her claws in and she's really a beautiful cat with gorgeous blue eyes. If we could I would keep both, but . . .


So we've decided to become her foster family for a month. We want to see how she is with Kumo--once things settle down. I know we're up for a rough two weeks or so. I guess there is a 70% chance that they will tolerate each other. Also we'll have to keep watching Dominick and Dennis' allergies. Dominick has been pretty allergy-acting when he plays with them but we're reasoning that once it's only one kitten and once she can leave the bathroom his allergies will settle down.

So now we have to find a good home for the brown tabby and get Rascal or whatever his new name will be to his new home.

No comments: