It's been a crazy few weeks, or seemingly months as I feel like we've been running and going since Christmas . . . Alisha died January 14th. I'm so grateful that Dennis and I took the day and drove up to see her. She took a real turn for the worse and was moved into a beautiful hospice facility so that they could better manage her pain. But she was still coherent and Dennis was able to talk to her . . . I guess that helps a little. Still, it is all just incredibly wrong that she was so young with so many good things starting in her life.
It was the first time for the boys to go to a funeral and visitation. So hard because death is one of those things that you just want to shelter them from forever. Dominick has asked lots of questions and I'm sure lots more are to come. We've tried to answer simply and honestly but it's still hard. I think Xander also knows that something happened and he's been a bit anxious when he wakes up and I'm not there or one morning Dennis was in the shower and he freaked out a bit when I said we couldn't go down and peek at him. He went into this long explanation of how dad was asleep and wouldn't wake up . . .
But mostly we're doing ok. Dominick is now 6 and so he has taken to liking pizza. Alisha was the same way, she decided she would learn to tie her shoes when she was 5 and not a moment before. On her 5th birthday she brought down her shoes and said, now teach me. She was a difficult one! We've said from the beginning that Domincik takes after her and not so much easy going Dennis --perhaps he takes after me, I've heard some stories from my early childhood--sorry mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment